|Asbury Church History|
The History of Asbury United Methodist Church
In 1899 the Ada Circuit was formed at Annual Conference. Rev. W.H. Nettles, one of the charter members was appointed in 1902 to be a Circuit Rider. The first regular pastor was Rev. W.A. Shelton in 1900. He was instructed by the Conference to reorganize and build at 121 West Fifteenth Street a church that was to become First Methodist Church.
In 1907 three lots were purchased at Sixth and Johnston and the old First Methodist Church building was moved there, where a new church was organized. This church was named Asbury Methodist Church. It was included in the First Methodist's budget for several years as a mission roject.
Later in the mid 1980s a new sanctuary was built that is still in use today. In addition a new parsonage was built in the mid 1990s and the old parsonage was torn down and a new parking lot was built in its place.
The Present Asbury United Methodist Congregation is only a small part of this church. There have been thousands pass through the doors of Asbury since it was organized. They have gone on to be the Church. We regret there is not time or no way to know where they are or to name all of them but remember Malachi said the Lord told him "They that loved the Lord spoke often to one another and the Lord heard it and a Book of Remembrance was written for them that loved the Lord and thought upon His name". We know that a great many men and women have left a trail of tears, love light, understanding and inspiration for us to continue to pass on to those who follow after us here at Asbury. Ours is a great heritage!
Pastors Who have Served Over the last 100 Years
Rev. L.Don Griffin 2009 - 2011
Rev. Temple Diehl 2011- Present